What is Ayurvedic Massage –Abhyanga?
Ayurveda, the ancient Indian science of healing, has always emphasized massage as a part of healing. According to Ayurveda, the intensity of massage and type of oil is selected according to person’s constitution and imbalance in the body.
One’s constitution is the inherent balance of energies in his/ her body and mind. In Ayurveda there are three types of bio-energy called Doshas. Three are Doshas are vata, pitta, and kapha. These three energies (Doshas) regulate the formation and functions of the body at the physical and emotional levels. When these three energies are in harmony, one experiences being healthy. But as the doshas move goes out of balance the body starts experiencing sickness. Each individual has their own unique balance of these energies. Each person has a different type of body frame, different type of skin texture, different level of sensitivity to pain, different level of mental and physical strength and many more characteristics that can be understood by knowing a person’s unique constitution. This is why Ayurveda sees all people as individuals; recognizing that one person’s elixirs may be poison for other person
Massage is used in the Ayurvedic therapy known as Panchakarma. This is a therapy which aids in detoxification. While massage with appropriate oils is only one part of this therapy, the knowledge of its role helps a person understand the effects of massage on their individual body type. In ayurvedic massage, many types of massage techniques are used-like friction, kneading, twisting, rolling, and stroking. Massage using oils liquefies toxins in the body so they can be easily expelled through biological processes.
Ayurveda also includes “Marma Point Therapy.” Marmas are special energetic points in the body with relationships to organ function, metabolism and emotional states. They are similar to Acupuncture points. Marma points are normally stimulated by hand pressure, massaged by using medicated oils or stimulated with medicated herbal pouch.
Benefits of Ayurvedic Massage-Abhyanga
- Ayurvedic massage helps to improve the energy flow throughout the channels.
- Ayurvedic massage helps to remove the toxins from the body.
- Ayurvedic massage helps to improve the circulations and strengthen the immune system.
- Ayurvedic massage is anti-aging and rejuvenates the body & mind.
- Ayurvedic massage promotes sound sleep and aids in healing.
- Ayurvedic massage improves circulation and fluid retention which helps to reduce fatigue. And also increasing flexibility in the joints.
- Most important benefits are relaxing and promote good health and good spirit.
Cost: Ayurvedic pouch/ bundle massage is for one hour session and cost is $99.