What is Shiro-dhara Tretment
Shirodhara is an Ayurvedic treatment which originated in India. The name is derived from the Sanskrit words shiro, which means the head, and dhara, meaning the flow. Shirodhara treatment has been found to be very effective in problems associated with stress, anxiety, depression. It is also effective in cleansing the body and in promoting general well-being.
During this treatment, a warm herbal liquid’s stream is (which can be oil, water, or buttermilk based) poured onto patient’s forehead from a metal pot. This process improves the energy follow in the brain. The oil and liquids are selected on the basis of person’s vata, pitta and kapha constitutions. Shirodhara is beneficial for relaxation of the mind and body, in reducing stress and removing toxins from the body. Shirodhara treatment is particularly effective in insomnia, various headaches, migraines, anxiety, depression and hair loss.
Shirodhara is helpful in following conditions:
- Stress, Anxiety,
- Upper respiratory system problem
- Mental fatigue, tiredness
- Headache & Migraine
- Imbalance of emotions
- Lack of concentrations
- Neck, shoulder and TMJ pain
- Pre and postnatal concerns
Care after shirodhara treatment
- Follow your Ayurveda practitioner’s advice & recommendations
- Stay away from screens for at least 2-3 hours
- Keep your head covered with a towel, scarf, or shawl after the treatment.
- Do not drink cold water or take cold showers for 2 hours
- Aim to do something relaxing after the treatment. Try not to schedule any activities after the treatment.
Frequency of shirodhara treatment
To maintain the dosha balance, Shirodhara treatment should be taken once or twice a week.
Duration of shirodhara treatment: 60 minutes
Cost of shirodhara treatment:
One session: $120
Three sessions: $297
Five sessions: $450