Pitta Pacifying Diet
A pitta pacifying diet favours juicy, cooling foods with high water content while avoiding hot spices alcohol, vinegar, fried foods, tomatoes, yogurt and cheese. Foods should be fresh and organic, if possible. Avoid leftovers, packaged, canned or bottled foods, processed foods, preservatives, artificial ingredients and salty foods.
Favour the Following Foods
- IN GENERAL: Cool to lukewarm drinks according to preference. Favour sweet, bitter and astringent taste.
- LEGUMES: Mung beans, small kidney beans, non-fermented soy beans products and other beans are ok
- GRAINS: White rice (basmati, jasmine, etc.) barley, oats, quinoa, amaranth, millet, whole wheat, whole grain bread (toasted)
- NUTS & SEEDS: Pumpkin seeds and blanched almonds in small amounts, sunflower seeds.
- VEGETABLES: Yellow squash, zucchini, cucumber, cucumber, kale, bok-choy, winter squashes, asparagus, artichokes, okra, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, green beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, sprouts, lettuce, Brussels, parsley, sweet corn, alfalfa, sprouts, mushrooms, all green leafy vegetables.
- FRUITS: Sweet grapes, sweet mango, coconut, melons. Sweet plums, persimmon, pomegranate, sweet apple, sweet pears, raisins, dates and figs, avocado.
- DAIRY: Organic milk (boiled and served cool or warm), ghee, cream, butter, paneer (homemade cheese), soy milk rice milk, fresh buttermilk (not sour) and cottage cheese.
- SWEETENERS: Whole, raw sugar cane (in small amounts), date sugar, maple sugar, jaggery.
- OILS: Ghee is best; use olive or coconut oils. For massage, use coconut oil.
- SPICES: Coriander, cilantro, cumin, turmeric, saffron, fennel, cardamom, parsley, fresh basil, mint.
- NON-VEGETARIAN: Chicken, turkey, egg whites, fresh water (river) fish.
Reduce/avoid the Following Foods
- IN GENERAL: Pungent (i.e. hot and spicy) foods such as chillies, jalapeño, peppers, sour and salty tastes such as vinegar, alcohol and acidic foods.
- LEGUMES: Fermented soy bean products, tempeh.
- GRAINS: Corn, rye, buckwheat, brown rice.
- NUTS & SEEDS: peanuts and cashews.
- VEGETABLES: Tomatoes and tomato sauce, radish, beets, onions, garlic, chilli, hot peppers, pickles.
- FRUITS: Avoid sour fruits such as grapefruit, olives, sour orange, peach, sour grapes, pineapple, prunes, mango, lemon.
- DAIRY: Yogurt, salted cheese (especially aged and such as feta or blue cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, ice cream.
- SWEETENERS: Molasses, brown sugar, honey (only add after heating is complete), chocolate.
- OILS: corn, safflower, sesame, canola.
- SPICES: Chilli peppers, cayenne, onion, garlic, mustard seed cloves celery seeds fenugreek ketchup, asafoetida, ginger, black pepper, soy sauce, tamarind.
- NON-VEGETARIAN: beef, pork, lamb, egg yolk.