Vata Pacifying Diet – –
A Vata pacifying diet favours warm, cooked foods and hot beverages. Soft and oily foods, such as pasta and cooked cereals. And soups should be favoured over dry and crunchy foods. Raw vegetables should be avoided, except in small amounts. Avoid cold drinks and frozen desserts such as: ice cream, popsicles, frozen yogurt, etc.
FAVOUR THE FOLLOWING FOODS
- IN GENERAL: Enough quantity, adequate amount of oil, warm foods and drinks. Have more sweet, sour and salty tastingfoods.
- GRAINS: Rice, cooked oatmeal, bulgar, quinoa, spelt, whole wheat and whole grain breads (toasted).
- LEGUMES: Yellow split mung beans (green skin removed) whole mung beans, red lentils and tofu.
- VEGETABLES: Zucchini, asparagus, carrot, beets, sweet potatoes, artichokes, cucumber, yellow squash, okra, parsley, green peas, fennel, spinach in small amounts and cooked
- Coconut. All should be cooked well so they are soft.
- SPICES: Cumin, ginger, mustard seeds, ajwain, celery seeds, fenugreek, coriander, bay leaves, basil, saffron, hing(asafoetida), cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, anise, fennel, black pepper (in small amounts), rock salt, lemon juice, dill, mint, garlic, nutmeg, tamarind and soy sauce. All other spices in small amounts.
- FRUITS: All ripe, sweet, and juicy fruits. Dried fruit should be boiled or soaked in water prior to eating. Sweetgrapes, banana, melons, plums, cherries, kiwi, peach, apricot, mango, papaya, pomegranate, sweet pineapples, raisins, prunes, sweet oranges, grapefruit, dates and figs, avocado.Apples and pears only if sweet and juicy.
- OILS: All types, however organic Ghee and organic olive oil or ghee sautéed with Vata stabilizing spices. Use vataoil for daily massage before bathing.
- DAIRY & BEVERAGES: Organic cow or goat milk (brought to boil and served hot), butter, ghee, cream, non-aged cheeses (such as ricotta, cottage cheese, and cream cheese), paneer (homemade cheese), rice and almond milk.
- SWEETENERS: Natural/raw cane sugar (in small amounts,) raw honey, jaggery, date sugar.
- NUTS & SEEDS: All nuts and seeds (e.g. pistachio, almonds, cashew, walnuts, pumpkin, sesame and sunflower). Soak them in water to soften, so that they are easier to digest.
REDUCE THE FOLLOWING FOODS
- IN GENERAL: Light, dry, and crunchy foods. Cold foods and drinks. Pungent (hot and spicy) bitter and astringent tastes.
- GRAINS: Corn, rye, buckwheat, raw oats, millet.
- LEGUMES: Chick peas (garbanzo beans), kidney beans, soy beans.
- VEGETABLES: Green leafy vegetables, peas, potatoes,broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, sprouts, onion, radish, and raw vegetables and lettuce.
- SPICES: Avoid cayenne, chilli peppers and other very hot spices.
- FRUITS: Unripe/sour fruits. Guava, cranberries, persimmon.
- DAIRY & BEVERAGES: Soy milk.
- SWEETENERS: White or processed sugar.
- NUTS & SEEDS: Peanuts.